Thursday, July 24, 2008

Phillip Daniels Injury

I stopped by Redskins Park Sunday (start of camp) to see the Zorn era kick off. Unfortunately, Phillip Daniels blew his knee out right in front of me that day. I was only about 15 yards away but I was using my binocs to get a perspective of details. With my binocs I could see Daniels lay on the ground in pain as trainers delicately maneuvered his left knee as if it was a ball of dough. I then saw Dan Snyder walk up to investigate, he placed his hand on his forehead as if he was shocked, upset, and also thinking what to do next...all in one motion. He turned around, took a few steps, then turned back to Daniels and observed. Then, Cornelius Griffin walked up to Daniels as he remained on the ground...peeked his head over the kneeling trainers...and quietly turned around and approached Andre Carter. I'll never forget the look on Griffin's face as his lips mouthed "It's his knee". Andre continued towards Daniels, kneeled down and said something to him, then allowed the trainers to continue their work. The Cart then arrived. I have never seen a huge athletic person have so much trouble getting off the ground...then need the assistance of two men (half his size) to help him walk 3 feet to The Cart.

A fan to my left asked his friend, "How bad do you think it is? Out for the preseason?", his friend replied, "Career ending". After seeing what I saw through my binocs I agreed with the later.

It was really bizarre, the first Offense vs. Defense drill of Redskins Training Camp 2008, and a starting defensive end goes down for the season and possibly his career. The play itself was almost in slow motion. There was a little bit of intensity as they walked up for the fist play of 7 on 7 drills, but they were really just trying to make sure they were all going in the right place for the play...no contact, just a fast paced rehearsal.

But, the show must go on, and it did. Not just the expedited trade for Jason Taylor, but within seconds of Daniels falling to the ground and Jason Campbell frantically waiving his arms to the trainers, the entire Redskins team and staff walked around Daniels as he lay on the ground, put the ball on the ground about 20 yards down field, and continued the drill. The team is a machine, and the best machines don't skip a beat when a piece breaks.

Hat's off to Daniels, I really hope he gets better soon, and sticks around no matter the outcome. The 2008 Redskins training camp started out with a horrible injury to a starter, but the way the team conducted itself...players, coaches, and front office...should be a positive note in how this team now operates as a whole.

No comments: